New to the boards? Introduce yourself here!

Talk about .hack news unrelated to the other forums and other off-topic discussion!
gvhbngh

Re: New to the boards? Introduce yourself here!

Post by gvhbngh »

Hello all! The .Hack games had a profound impact on me as a kid, I remember them well.

I came here because I like the .Hack series
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Hello new peoples!

I figured I'd re-introduce myself, since I haven't been on here in a few years. (Man, time flies!)

You can call me Mizu, I made an account in 2006 and as a teenager I would embarrass myself on here quite a bit. That's why I usually took year-long hiatuses. This time though I just kinda drifted away from the .hack fandom. Not for a particular reason or anything, just didn't have a whole lot to talk about since there haven't been as many .hack video games.

Speaking of games, I own the following .hack titles:
.hack//Infection
.hack//Mutation
.hack//Outbreak

.hack//G.U. Vol. 1, 2 & 3
I've seen most of the anime series (SIGN, Roots, & Legend of the Twilight) but I've been slacking in terms of movies & other specials, so I haven't really seen anything all that recent.

My other fandoms include: MLP, Hetalia, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, SMT/Persona, various anime in general
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Falions wrote:it's really nice to see that this thread has survived a decade
anyways, i hope we all get along!
^_^ A belated welcome to the boards! :D Always nice to hear someones backstory to .hack, we all come across the series one way or another~

:D You should take a picture of your collection and post it here http://www.dothackers.net/forums/viewto ... &start=200

?-? Don't you mean .hack//Archives 02 Black? Good thing both of these didn't have a limited edition version ^^'
SBlaze3K wrote:hat's my history in a nutshell. Also have a few toys, Another Birth series, CDs and posters to go with my obsessiveness with this franchise (How come I must know...)

^.^ hello there! I'm always amazed to see how many of us have been following .hack for over a decade~
MizuTakishima wrote: I figured I'd re-introduce myself, since I haven't been on here in a few years. (Man, time flies!)
xD Welcome back to the forums, how long ago were you last here?

You'll have to catch up on the other anime,luckily they have either been released or fansubbed if they aren't licensed ^-^
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hello!

I've been lurking around the forums for a bit, and decided it was time to make myself an account proper and introduce myself! As I'm certain is the case with most everyone here, I've been a fan of the Dot Hack series for quite some time. It's actually had a pretty profound impact on my life and career, as Sign really invigorated my interest in MMOs. This led to my getting more involved in online gaming communities, which eventually led to a job at ArenaNet, where I would go on to become the Lead Designer of Guild Wars Live for many years, as well as helping with design for the sequel.

These days, I've moved into the mobile gaming space, and I don't have time for MMOs in the way that I used to (marriage and other interests!) but I've never really lost the wonder and awe for virtual worlds, and I've tried to instill as much of that into my work as I could. Currently, I'm going back through the games / books / series along with my wife, while trying to build out my collection of merchandise.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this, I look forward to the pleasure of making your acquaintance(s)!
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Spooky wrote:Hello!
^(^_^) Greetings fellow dot hacker!

:) Glad to hear .hack had such in dramatic impact on your life, that seems to be the case with several fans here though I doubt there will be many that have progressed from watching/playing MMOs to designing them for a company.

I can see why as MMOs take in a vast amount time,which mobile games are you playing if you don't mind my asking? ^(^__^)^ I hope you've managed to pick up the anime (along with the novels/manga/games) if you didn't have them already, helps that FUNimation is re-releasing them for cheap. How is your collection of merchandise coming along?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

SSJScygoku wrote:I can see why as MMOs take in a vast amount time,which mobile games are you playing if you don't mind my asking? ^(^__^)^ I hope you've managed to pick up the anime (along with the novels/manga/games) if you didn't have them already, helps that FUNimation is re-releasing them for cheap. How is your collection of merchandise coming along?
Let's see... I'm currently the Lead Designer on Plants vs. Zombies 2, so playing that happens most days. ^^ Casually though, (I feel like I need some giant air-quotes on "casually") my wife and I have been playing One Piece Treasure Cruise. It's managed to fill the Puzzle & Dragons shaped hole in my heart, after having played that game for a very, very long time. Treasure Cruise is probably even more dangerous, because we have context for characters beyond their stats and artwork, so we may end up playing with the gacha a little too much trying to get certain characters. ^^;

I'd love to be playing Guilty Dragon, but we've both got iPhones. I don't feel like going through the hassle of jailbreaking the device. ><

As for where the collection currently stands, let's see...
Games:
  • IMOQ
  • G.U. Trilogy
  • Link
  • Versus
Series:
  • Sign
  • Liminality
  • Twilight Bracelet
  • Roots
  • G.U. Trilogy
  • Quantum
  • Beyond the World
Books:
  • A.I. Buster 1 & 2
  • Another Birth series
  • X4th 1 & 2
  • Twilight Bracelet
  • G.U.+
  • Alcor
  • Cell
  • 4Koma
  • Link 1 - 3
Miscellaneous:
  • (Incoming!) .hack//Canvas for Haseo, Alkaid, and Kite
  • (Incoming!) G.U. set with Chim Chim plush (Chim Chims!)
  • An almost complete Enemy collection
  • A nowhere near complete Victory Spark collection ^^;
There aren't words to describe how sad I am that there aren't proper 1/6th to 1/8th scale figures for Dot Hack. Between my wife and I, our figure collection carries over to most rooms of our house. The closest I've got is my little Grunty from the Sign LE that I bought way back when it first came out. ><
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Spooky wrote:Let's see...
^^' I still need to give Plants vs Zombies a go and didn't know there was a sequel. Must be a good (addicting) game if you are able to play so often, i'm sure they'll need to rework the gaming time gauge for designers xD Is the One Piece game similar to Guilty Dragon in that you acquire cards used for playing? Having history with a game helps you enjoy it further, maybe not the best thing if there is micro-transactions or random drop rates. I wasn't aware there was an english patch for it o-0

I believe there was a way to download it onto the PC aswwell, was hoping the game would reach the US/UK by now after the announcement but nothing T-T

xD wow so most of whats been released in english and even the japanese games and movie. All thats missing the is the 4 .hack//G.U. novels along with the japanese only manga/novels if you are inclined ^_^

Glad to see someone else picking up the japanese merchandise :D You'll only need the Blackrose Canvas~ ^(^-^)^ Chimuuuuu~ Will you be going after the Makoto set aswell?

I'm assuming you'll just be missing the super rare/expensive promotional cards for .hack//Enemy? @.@ Did you buy a booster pack for Victory Spark or was it a box? Atleast V.S. only has so 100 base cards,1 trial deck and 4 promo cards...though getting the holographic cards is a pain with Bushiroad sets .-.

Tell me about it, only thing there is are garage kits T-T Surely with so much merch being made they could make some awesome offical figures/resin kits. I know there is afew plushies including a large Grunty,a smaller one with the JP LotT boxset,Tsukasa and a Macha. 0-0 jeez that sounds like quite the figure collection you both have there.

If you are interesting in seeing other peoples rare finds or collections I'd recommend this thread (@.@)> http://www.dothackers.net/forums/viewto ... =2&t=18878
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Lots of points to address!

The One Piece game in a nutshell: You collect characters either as drops that can be farmed from dungeons, or pulled from the gacha - most of the non-fodder characters only come from the gacha. Combat is timing based - when you select a character, they'll attack your current target, and some sound effects like "Kshing!" will fly out, and then converge on the target - hitting again at the right time nets either Goods, Greats, Perfects, or Misses. Greats and Perfects build up your attack multiplier for successive attacks in that turn.

That's the basics of it, it starts to get more complicated as you build teams around what their types, colors, captain and active abilities are, etc. It's one of those "Easy to get in, deep to master" sort of mechanics. We've just crossed the 100 days played mark, so they've done a fairly good job with their retention and progression mechanics! And yeah, there's an English version now. It's still fairly recent, so it's possible to get caught up to some of the newer content.

For the novels - yes! I need to get the G.U. novels. I had them ordered, and then got a mystery e-mail about getting refunded. Looks like I'm going to have to find them someplace else. >< I might pick up some of the Japanese ones, as it's an excellent way to force me to keep studying.

With the BlackRose canvas - the only reason I didn't order it is that I have no idea what's going on with her design! I haven't played or read through Link yet (waiting until I finish G.U. as a spectator sport) so I don't have the context to know if I like it or not. At least I'm not that far off - I'm up to the Hetero Trio arena match. My wife seriously can't stop laughing every time she hears that name.

For Enemy, I believe I've got just about everything that I could have gotten from Booster boxes (need to do a double check after my latest round!) along with a bunch of the promo cards like the Queens and some of the one-off characters. I'm missing a Puchi, a Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground, and really considering if Astro Prince is worth the going price. ><

And then with Victory Spark ... I bought the Starter Set, loved the artwork, and now am hunting down booster boxes. It seems like the going rate on those is around $200, or that's the best that I've come across so far. I am sorely tempted to get one... especially knowing that they'll only continue to get harder to find. Do you have an idea of how many cards you get per box?

Garage kits tend to break my heart. We've seen some awesome ones, as well as prototypes on MyFigureCollection - there's a really rad Haseo Xth that we want, but it just doesn't exist as a thing you could get. Even if it came out as a kit, my painting abilities would result in some incredibly derpy looking figures. I'm holding out hope that someday (... someday ...) CC2 does something more with the franchise that reinvigorates it, and we suddenly start getting proper figures again. It's not entirely unheard of, in the last two years or so they've suddenly started making scale models from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series, so I can still dream!
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Welcome to the boards, new and not-so-new-by-now members! I hope you all have a nice time browsing this beautiful net space that makes me feel @Home(Pun intended), and a personal welcome for our newest welcomed member Spooky! I am a Plants Vs Zombies Fan myself, but i can't say i'm playing it lately... There are obstacles in my way such as no phone or PC whatsoever. Anyways!

I say again, Welcome to Dothackers.net's Forums!

SSJScygoku wrote:I believe there was a way to download it onto the PC aswwell, was hoping the game would reach the US/UK by now after the announcement but nothing T-T
Downloading Bluestacks and the Apk should be the case for this. And there is a topic at the //Guilty Dragon Section for a fan translation, i believe the developervs are never bringing it to the USA/Europe any time... Ever?
Dekaid

Post by Dekaid »

Noticed I haven't even been here before.

Sooo, I've known .hack for quite a while now, actually pretty much since it first came out in Europe as my sister had played it back when I was 6-7 years old. I've only ever finished G.U. and Link as these games aren't too RPG for me and I've also tried myself at IMOQ, but I just can't get myself to level up all the time just so I can go into a field that's 4 levels below me and still die...

I'm mostly interested in shooters and racing games and I mainly enjoy the competitive aspects of these games, but I can pretty much play anything if I like it for some reason. I'm also playing Guilty Dragon on Android, so if anyone wants to add me: 515092986

Don't really know what else to say, I'll just see ya when I see ya.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Spooky wrote:Lots of points to address!
^_^ thanks for the explaination,sounds like a good combat system especially if you can build a team with synergy. Even better if you can keep that multiplier going~ Thats good to hear, I'd imagine people will keep trying different combinations to find the best team,well helps if they can get the right characters from the gacha.

:/ that sucks but you can find them for a reasonable price on amazon.com, all four novels are there. That would help your studying, amazon also has the japanese volumes if you still want them xD

Ah thats the design from Guilty Dragon for Phantom Blackrose ^_^ I'm sure you'll enjoy the story for the LINK game and the manga will leave you wanting more :P Maybe that was the reasoning behind their name, have players laugh so much they can't focus xD I hope you remember to take on the Doppleganger~

^_^ If you need a checklist this site has one http://www.tradecardsonline.com/im/sele ... game_id/19 , though when I was buying booster boxes I was still missing commons/uncommons somehow. Luckily there was a seller on ebay that sold them all cheap ^-^ Yeah the price of Astro Prince is crazy, so high for just one card ^^'

^^' they are quite pricy, luckily all the rare cards will not be doublers of those inside the box but you only get one holograhic (or if your lucky signed) card. *checks box behind me* 20 packs with 8 cards each (1 rare in every pack). This site has a checklist of most cards @.@ http://vs-tcg.wikidot.com/series:hack

I saw those along with Flicker Haseo and Skeith, so very impressive. xD we share the same problem with painting skills, why can't they just make them fully painted for people like us lol Well they still keep making .hack merch so there is still hope ^_^
Dekaid wrote:I've also tried myself at IMOQ, but I just can't get myself to level up all the time just so I can go into a field that's 4 levels below me and still die...
Thats not uncommon, heck I was max level and yet still take alot of damage from enemies of a field much lower ^^' Atleast its not automatic game over when you die so your party can revive you. :D
AZURE-KITE wrote: Downloading Bluestacks and the Apk should be the case for this. And there is a topic at the //Guilty Dragon Section for a fan translation, i believe the developervs are never bringing it to the USA/Europe any time... Ever?
Thanks for the info, I recall the thread but didn't know the details ^^' Probably not but we can hope xD
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Spooky wrote:
SSJScygoku wrote:I'm currently the Lead Designer on Plants vs. Zombies 2, so playing that happens most days.
That's super impressive. I was addicted to that game for a long time. And it's amazing that .hack helped motivate you and now you're living the dream!
Spooky wrote:There aren't words to describe how sad I am that there aren't proper 1/6th to 1/8th scale figures for Dot Hack.
There was one for Haseo at one point, and a super-limited (of course!) one for Mistral. But it's not common. Which is truly bizarre since the official brick-and-mortar vendor of all .hack merchandise is Kotobukiya. Their store is like cold-cast, cold-cast, official .hack towels, postcards, and books, cold-cast, cold-cast.

I try to stay away from social games, even Guilty Dragon, on principle. For a while my girlfriend and I were playing Kingdom Hearts Chi for the plot, though. Although much like Guilty Dragon there is barely anything to it of any consequence, which is why we eventually gave up.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Kuukai wrote:Their store is like cold-cast, cold-cast, official .hack towels, postcards, and books, cold-cast, cold-cast.
The one of Flicker form Haseo? You'd think after having those super rare busts for the original games that they would either re-make them for others to buy or make more seeing as people would definitely want them after all that time.
Jazul

Post by Jazul »

Hi, been new for a while now but I never posted it in this chat. Anyway, hello everyone~ ! :D
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Jazul wrote:Hi
^_^ Welcome officially to the forum fellow dothacker, hope to see you posting in some of the other topics~
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

SSJScygoku wrote:
Jazul wrote:Hi
^_^ Welcome officially to the forum fellow dothacker, hope to see you posting in some of the other topics~
I love the way how you just quote the initial "Hi"
Welcome to the boards Jazul!. Oh yes, that face(I'm refering to your signature) is the main reason i don't have many friends until they look at my drawings! (I'll make sure to update my drawings soon...)

I hope you enjoy being here and don't hesitate to ask anything or post anything if you really feel like/need it!.

Then again, welcome c:
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

AZURE-KITE wrote:I love the way how you just quote the initial "Hi"
Welcome to the boards Jazul!. Oh yes, that face(I'm refering to your signature) is the main reason i don't have many friends until they look at my drawings! (I'll make sure to update my drawings soon...)
Just wanted to make sure to quote something, easier to see a reply as it pops up in notifications @.@

^^' I was checking your thread there, seems like most of the drawings aren't showing for some reason.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

SSJScygoku wrote:
AZURE-KITE wrote:I love the way how you just quote the initial "Hi"
Just wanted to make sure to quote something, easier to see a reply as it pops up in notifications @.@

^^' I was checking your thread there, seems like most of the drawings aren't showing for some reason.
Most of them are like 3-4 years old and the links are broken... That's why i said i'd post some of my more recent drawings as soon as i can! Please be patient ^^
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

AZURE-KITE wrote:Most of them are like 3-4 years old and the links are broken... That's why i said i'd post some of my more recent drawings as soon as i can! Please be patient ^^
xD ah I see, would be easier if you had them on Deviant Art so they would still be there. *tries to be patient* ^_^
Crows

Post by Crows »

Hey I vaguely remember checking out these forums years ago (I still fondly remember watching the trailer video for GU on dothackers) but if I were ever a member that info is long gone from my memories.

I am crappy at introductions so feel free to ask me stuff.